Monday, August 22, 2011

Garden disaster 2011














I know the title is a bit drastic, but the hot summer here in arkansas reaching highs of 115 and having the whole month of July over 100 degrees everyday just did our huge garden in. We did harvest quite a bit of turnip greens, some tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, lettuce, radishes, onions and potatoes but that was all stopped short once the rains stopped coming:( My handy husband built me these nice square foot boxes near the cabin so I could water them everyday and I had squash, cucumbers, green beans and okra planted but my lovely chickens decided it was a nice place to dig a hole and rest during the hundred degree weather so now all i have left is squash and cucumbers (pictured above) I didn't get these in the ground til late July so they'll be nice to have around til frost. We've decided we are going to build tons of boxes for our vegi's for a fenced in garden so that deer AND chicken and whatever else decides to munch on my vegi's can not!! It will be near the cabin too for easy watering. We're excited to get it started. Hopefully it will be a fall project so we're ready when spring rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment