Thursday, March 13, 2014

We finally named the Farm!!!

WE DID IT!! The Marrone farm finally has a name.  I'm not really sure why it took us so long to come up with a name but I think it has something to do with getting to know and growing in love with a place.  When we first purchased the farm I'm pretty sure I was scared and unknowing of what we were getting ourselves into.  Having only ever lived in a small town, right in town usually, it was a scary thing for us to take up our things and move to the middle of nowhere.  But we did it... we actually fixed up and moved into a tiny cabin in the middle of our 100 acres just a little under 4 years ago.  My Joey is an adventurer to say the least and his visions and dreams are big.  I know that's why the Lord gave him to me because I tend to lean towards the safe side of things and I'm pretty sure we balance each other out quite nicely.  Anyways, back to the name... I'm assuming you figured it out by now, hence the name of the blog. Yes that's right, Essie Lane Farm it is.  Doesn't it have a sweet ring to it? We've discussed many names and always no, ehh, maybe... but finally one day I was sitting down to make a seed list and I started reminiscing about the old days here and I wondered what seeds Essie Simmons would have ordered.  The Simmons family owned this property for years and years.  It was their homestead and from all the old time neighbors all I hear about is how wonderful and big her vegetables grew and how she won all the blue ribbons at the fair and that's when it hit me.  The farm should be named after Essie!!  She has left an awesome legacy worthy of naming our farm after.  So immediately I ran outside to see what my husband thought.  He just happened to be home from work that day and was milling some lumber so I said how do you feel about the name Essie for our farm and he was like yes I like it and as I looked down our old bumpy dusty lane it popped out.... Essie Lane Farm and he liked it and all the kids liked it!! Yay!! I can't wait to get a sign made.  Hopefully the sign won't take another four years;) As we get more and more farm animals and as the garden grows I fall more in love with this place that the Lord has led us to.  I'm looking forward to my children learning so many important things here and also growing old right here in this place.  I'm not scared any more.  It's a peaceful place.. I've grown to love the farm.  We have a long ways to go but so far the journey has been a joy. Not always easy and often times hard but the reward is the best.  Fresh eggs, veggies, meat, canned goodness... does it get much better?  I'm hoping to use this blog as a journal of our lives here and as I learn knew things you can learn them with me.  Enjoy the ride!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment